Sarah Liveing of the foundation Walking Works advises of the benefits of walking to/from work.
1. Your internal organs and their functionality are really important. If you sit for a prolonged period of time you can become more at risk of high blood pressure and cholesterol. Walking can help counteract this as your body temperature increases and so too does your blood flow around the body providing a regular supply of oxygen helping keep these potential problems at bay.
2. You won’t feel lethargic. Early morning starts can be a struggle but walking to work awakens the mind leaving you feeling highly energised, alert and ready for the day ahead.
3. You may find it difficult to unwind from a stressful day of work but walking acts as an after work “cool down” and your night sleep can be less interrupted and more relaxed.
4. Concentration levels will dramatically improve; your mind won’t be left wondering as you feel more alert and prepared for the day ahead. A walk to work is a great planner in terms of your outlook for the working day and you can give your work the full attention it needs.
5. Being a low impact exercise means it isn’t too strenuous on your body hence suiting an easy commute to work. It is really important not to over work the body as you can become highly fatigued and concentration in the day ahead diminishes. Walking is still great exercise however, being lightly paced, means you won’t be too disheveled when you reach your place of work.
6. A sense of accomplishment in walking to work regularly is a real boost of confidence. Keep it as part of your routine and you will certainly reap the rewards in the long run.
7. Walking is a great way to reduce stress. Walking helps you de-stress from your hectic everyday life. Take time to switch off from work and see the beauty in the small things around you like birds tweeting, traffic noises, flowers planted along your route, trees, architecture. Appreciate what’s around you.
8. Walking is free travel; if you make it a regular habit, collect all the money you’ll save from your journey and treat yourself to something special like a facial or massage, or theatre tickets.
9. Road closure, accidents, diversions. No need to worry about traffic delays when walking to work just make sure you are prepared. Wear appropriate clothing and footwear and consume regular fluids to prevent dehydration in warmer weather. That’s one less thing to think about when getting to work; you’ll never be late again.
10. Walking to work regularly will tone your legs, arms, bum and tum and essentially will improve your strength, balance and posture. Walking is suitable for any age, shape and fitness level.