Council tax has increased across most of England. Make sure you aren’t paying more than you need to, warns charity, Independent Age.
You may be eligible for support, for example:
- if you’re on Guarantee Pension Credit, you may get your council tax paid in full
- if you’re on a low income, you may be eligible for council tax support from your council
- if you live alone, you’re entitled to a 25% discount on your council tax bill
- if your home has been adapted or is larger than it would otherwise be because someone with a disability lives there, you may get a reduction on your bill
- if your home is empty, you may not have to pay
- if you live with someone on a low income who isn’t your partner, you may be eligible for a discount on your bill called a Second Adult Rebate.
For more information, visit the Independent Age website, at: www.independentage.org/ or call 0800 319 6789 and arrange to speak to one of their advisers. You can call the helpline, Mon to Fri 8.30am to 6.30pm and Sat 9am to 1pm.