Whether you are a green-fingered gardener or a horticultural novice, the British Red Cross is encouraging you to enjoy your garden in the company of family, friends or neighbours this summer – whilst raising money for a worthwhile cause.
Your gardening know-how isn’t important; what matters is enjoying your beautiful borders in the company of others as part of a new fundraising scheme called ‘Proud of Your Garden’.
Even if your garden is more backyard than bijou, don’t let it stand in your way.
The Red Cross has made it easy by providing downloadable invitations, plenty of fundraising ideas and gardening tips from professional gardener Tamsin Westhorpe, who is editor of The English Garden magazine.
Tamsin, who is planning a mini-sports day in her garden for her son’s friends, thinks that everyone should be proud of whatever outdoor space they have: “I have been a professional gardener for over 20 years and strongly believe that gardens need to be shared, however small and unmanaged,” she said.
Tamsin has created a few hints and tips to help you prepare for some alfresco fun. Here are just a few:
- Trim lawn edges with a half-moon edging iron (or a spade) to get super-straight, clean lines.
- ‘Plug plants’ – young individual plants, which are widely available at garden centres – are a good way to cheat and add instant colour to the garden.
- Invite people over! Your gathering could be for close friends and family, only – or you might want to invite the whole street.
- Think of different ways to raise some money and turn your event into life-saving cash: from raffles to plant sales, a tombola or quiz.
- Ask local shops for help, and invite them to donate any goodies or ingredients. The Red Cross can provide a headed letter to ask them.
By hosting a ‘proud of your garden’ event, you can make a real difference to people facing crisis around the world. Gardens can change someone’s life – as Habsatou Abdulaye of Niaptana, Burkina Faso knows only too well.
Habsatou lives in one of many communities that regularly faces a food crisis, and despite the challenge of frequent droughts, she tends the aubergines, okra and onions in her garden on land provided by the British Red Cross. ‘Proud of Your Garden’ events can help raise money for Habsatou and many others facing similar challenges around the world.
If you are interested in showing off your garden, apply for a Proud of Your Garden pack full of helpful ideas and tips here:
Or telephone your local fundraiser on 0844 412 2811.