Mature Times has come together with Lakeland LTD to provide you with some fantastic recipes throughout the year. At the moment, we are looking at using our fantastic Slow Cooker! If you have yet to invest in one of these kitchen gadgets, what are you waiting for! It takes all the time out of preparation and enables you to get on with your day without watching an oven or standing over the hob.
Made in the Large Lakeland Slow Cooker
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 300g Arborio rice
- 2 tsp green pesto
- 750ml hot vegetable stock
- 250g baby asparagus, cut into pieces
- 100g frozen peas, thawed
- 75g Parmesan cheese (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the leek, garlic and spring onions and fry until softened but not browned.
- Add the rice and stir well to coat the grains evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the rice is translucent. Transfer to the slow cooker. Stir the pesto into the stock and add to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low for around 1½ hours – there is no need to stir whilst cooking. Add the asparagus on top of the rice, cover and cook for a further 15 minutes, then add the peas. Cook for a further 15 minutes
- To serve, stir in the Parmesan, lemon zest and juice and parsley. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
Tip: If there is too much liquid left at the end of the cooking time, switch to the high setting and cook uncovered to reduce slightly. For a special occasion replace half the stock with white wine.